Tuesday, September 6, 2011

dA dJNe (Dear Johnny)

dA dl Ne l e
P U VeL BATR
I MAC U
SARAH I L U

This is a letter written from an almost five year old girl. At first glance, the letters appear to be meaningless and an imaginative form of language. After reading from p. 298, about literacy coming from an individual perspective, I gained a deeper appreciation and knowledge of children's formation of words. The article clearly described that each letter combination was thoughtfully placed on the page. I am amazed, now, looking back at the letter. Sarah wrote carefully and from her heart. I am very interested in this process. I would love to have been with Sarah as she wrote the letter, and listened to her as she carefully sounded out each word. It would be interesting to see how Sarah's letter would compare to a boy's at the same age level. Each child's process of spelling differs: children's literacy is a product of their individual lives. This portion of the article really excited me to expeience children around the age of Sarah, 4 or 5, as they begin to gain independence with their literacy.

3 comments:

  1. I think it will be important to remember when we have our own classrooms that each child's work is done "carefully" and "thoughtfully," as you said. This is such an exciting time in the child's life, and it will be so interesting to watch each child learn and develop at their own pace and in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is amazing how children learn to read. There are so many things that affect their literacy. I really liked reading about Sarah
    and her literacy journey as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting post and I also believe every child has different writing styles and their literacy is also different. So in my opinion, like you did, teachers should try to understand what s/he try to write.

    ReplyDelete